Sunday, December 23, 2012

Discovering the Bubble


During a visit with my Neuro Opathomalogist on 10/11/12 October 11, 2012 (that makes it easy to remember,) I was told they found a large pineal tumor located near my brain stem. The tumor measures 12.7mm x 10.3mm x 8.3mm and is properly called a pineal cyst/tumor that is located inside the pineal gland.

They believe the tumor to be fluid filled and benign. A biopsy of the mass will be done at the time of the surgery to rule out cancer. Since they believe it to be fluid base, I rather like to think of it as a bubble. It seem less scary that way.
The pink area is my bubble, I mean the tumor. Having a pineal tumor is not uncommon but the size is unusually large and putting pressure on a nerve that impacts eye movement and balance.

There is only 3 surgeons in the world that do this surgery with expertise. Dr. Shahinian (Scull Base Institute, Los Angeles, CA.) has 20 years experience with surgeries in the base of the scull, with over 4500 total brain surgeries and 300-400 pineal tumor removals.  I am lucky to have found this surgeon.

Below is a YouTube video of my surgeon, Dr. Shahinian, and bit more information about my condition. (You can skip the surgery part, it is a bit TMI for most.)

Surgery is planned for January 10th in Los Angeles, California. I leave for L.A. January 6th and plan to return to Eugene January 16th. I will be at Thousand Oaks Surgical Hospital for 2 days and recovery the next few days at a local hotel. They want you out of the hospital as soon as possible to get proper rest and reduce the chances of infection. The next two - four weeks after coming home to Eugene will be complete rest at the house as I continue my recovery.

Close friends and family will be helping me with communications of doing emails, phone calls and the editor of this blog as doing all this is starting to get more difficult and sometimes wears me out. 

Please feel free to post comments as your questions and comments are welcomed.

11 comments:

  1. All I have to say is....this "bubble" is in TROUBLE! You will be back in a flash Becki...sent with love and a big hug! Thanks for doing the blog for updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is wonderful, Becki! I'll be checking it often. ounds You're doing all the right things in finding a great surgeon, making all the preparations, and creating time and space to heal after your surgery. I know this is scary stuff, and I also know that it can be scary AND work out well. I think about you everyday, my heart goes with you. Love, elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becki, Ken & I are wishing you the very best and you remain in our thoughts! Get it done Girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Becki, Your big brother and I, and your nephews and ladies are behind you all the way. We know you'll get thru this and get back to the life you like to live. Hugs and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck Becki! You will have your life back quicker than you know!! I am sending all my support and if you ever need anything, or just want to complain, just call!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thinking of you Becki and praying for your speedy recovery and return to CTL (NOT the same here without you)... I am inspired by your bravery and cannot wait to catch up with you when you are feeling better.

    Let me know if there is anything I can do...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are getting more anxious with every day but have no doubts that your surgery will be a wonderful success. Will keep praying unceasingly.

    Love,
    Gene and Dixie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw this and thought of you.

    http://www.snorgtees.com/pirate-crossword

    Adam / Milton 'Bill' Keilitz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting and keeping us up-to-date. Signed up for updates so I will be looking for them in my in-box.

    Be well, take care and recover quick.

    Avi and SarahLyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Becki, Sending love and positive energy your way! Wishing you and Rod all the best and a speedy recovery for you. I admire your bravery and positive attitude.

    Clarice (Chloe)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete